Sunday, February 10, 2008

Two soups

The first one was the best lunch I had in months: Brazilian Fish Gumbo at Wappos in Calistoga. I still have no idea what was Brazilian about it, but from the taste of it, it was

  • A boatload of shrimp and scallops
  • A bit of cod 
  • Red Thai chili
  • Coconut milk
  • Fish stock (I guess 1-1 with the coconut milk) 
  • Onions
  • Plantains (I think)--maybe that was the Brazilian part
  • Garlic
  • Lemon juice
I'll cook it pretty soon, but I'd probably omit the cod. It really didn't add much and tended to overwhelm the scallops.

The second one was the world's laziest roasted squash soup I just made for dinner:
  • Toss two cups of cubed squash (I used butternut), a cup of cut carrots, and a sliced onion with olive oil and pepper.
  • Put in a 450 degree oven or under the broiler for 20 minutes or until almost done and caramelized. A baking sheet with aluminum foil works well.
  • Throw in blender with a cup of veggie stock
  • Warm up in a sauce pan, add parsley, and season with salt and pepper
You could probably add some protein like pork or chicken, butter, or maybe cream, but it really doesn't need it. Total time, 25 minutes, total prep and cleanup: 5 minutes. The leftovers separated a bit, a dash of cornstarch would probably take care of that. 

No comments: