Sunday, May 04, 2008

Eejit proof cake

As a way to apologize for running out on chatting with Cindy to make some cake for dinner, here's the recipe for my 5 minutes or less prep time cake. I normally HATE to bake--flour gets everywhere and I hate wet gooey stuff like batter. But I am having guests over for dinner, so it's back to one of the two cakes I can do off the top of my head. It's adapted from the if-you-don't-have-it-drop-whatevs-you're-doing-and-get-it Silver Spoon.

Peel, core, quarter and slice 2 medium apples (or pear, or cherries, or)
Toss with juice of a lemon and a bit of sugar (not really necessary, but it keeps them from discoloring)
Put 3/4 cups of sugar into a food processor and give it a few whirls to make "superfine"
Add the eggs and pulse until fluffy
Add 6 tablespoons of butter, pulse
Add 2 3/4 cups of self raising-flour and run until you have a pretty stiff batter.
Mix with the fruit slices (I added dried cherries and a bit of rum this time)
Dump in 9" cake pan lined with non-stick aluminum foil (if you don't have it, buy it. Best kitchen invention of the last three years)
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

The things I like is that I only mess up the food processor and one other dish for the apples and the final mix. And since the apples contain a fair bit of moisture and sugar, this cake is very forgiving against slightly off proportions, over-, and underbaking. It's also not that sweet.


1 comment:

Cindy said...

I like that your recipes include terms like "dump."

And it's okay for running out on me. I was busy housing caramelized shallots anyway.